The colors of Fall are all around us, especially those in the U.S. northeast. Reds, golds, oranges, and chestnut browns have replaced those verdant views. And Fall flavors tend to invade our menu, especially at tea time – and especially when it comes to those delectable sweet-smelling (when fresh from the oven) scones!
The brand I like best is Sticky Fingers. Each package needs only a little water added to the mix to make about 12 scones (depends on how large you make them). The mix has a one-year shelf life and no eggs or partially hydrogenated oils (and thus no cholesterol, transfats, or saturated fats) but do contain dried buttermilk. Simply follow the step by step instructions, and you’ll be enjoying fresh scones from the oven in no time. (A tip for increasing their moistness: add an extra teaspoon of water, a spoonful of applesauce or fruit preserves, or even some additional dried fruits. And use the shorter baking time on the package.)
The big key is the scone flavor. Here are a few that would be tops on my list:
- Scone Mix – Pumpkin Spice -15oz (425g) – Wonderful autumn-inspired spices and pumpkin flakes – a welcome treat at any time of the year. But Fall is when they are best. Pair with Ceylon Black or Green tea, Dragonwell, or an Autumn Flush Darjeeling.
- Scone Mix – Cinnamon Raisin – 15oz (425g) – Delivers a unique, spicy taste, and full of plump raisins and a generous helping of sweet and spicy cinnamon. I love these with a little butter (great backup plan when you run out of clotted cream). Pair with a hearty tasting black tea like Assam and Yunnan or an Autumn Flush Darjeeling.
- Scone Mix – Pumpkin Cranberry – 15oz (425g) – A taste of fall any time of the year. Sweet and spicy with lots of spices, rich pumpkin flavor, and cranberry pieces. This autumn inspired flavor is one of my favorites. If you have any pumpkin butter on hand, add a spoonful to the mix just for that extra touch.
- Scone Mix – Cocoa Chocolate Chip – 15oz (425g) – Loved by kids and adults alike. Each bite is packed with chocolate chips and are sure to curb your chocolate craving. Pair with green teas like Sencha or Gyokuro, oolongs, Darjeeling teas, Earl Grey, or more hearty tasting black teas like Assam and Yunnan.
- Scone Mix – Apricot – 15oz (425g) – California apricots make this scone flavor absolutely delightful. The apricots are chewy but not too tart. Delicious with tea and jam, these scones are sure to become your next favorite.
- Scone Mix – Blackcurrant – 15oz (425g) – A traditional scone flavor that’s a long-time favorite, our Blackcurrant Scone Mix is sure to be delicious with afternoon tea. This mix contains blackcurrants with a touch of nutmeg for a gourmet taste that will have you coming back for more. Pair with Dragonwell, Darjeeling, or any oolong.
- Scone Mix – Cranberry – 15oz (425g) – Packed with tart, chewy cranberries, this mix is accented with a hint of orange and subtle spices. The perfect accompaniment to tea or coffee.
- Scone Mix – Apple Cinnamon – 15oz (425g) – a great accompaniment to spiced teas, like chai, apple spice, or holiday spice. This apple cinnamon scone mix is packed with juicy apples, cinnamon, and spices, and is great for breakfast. Pair with Dragonwell, Ti Kuan Yin, Darjeeling, or any oolong.
Don’t forget to enjoy a bit of Fall scenery while munching and sipping!
See more of A.C. Cargill’s articles here.
© Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this article’s author and/or the blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.