What is Bubble Tea?
The other day at a fall apple festival near my hometown in PA I saw a huge sign that read “Bubble Tea $6.99”. I have never heard of such a thing so I came home and researched exactly what it was because I love trying new things. I soon found out that bubble tea, also known as tapioca tea or milk tea, originates in Taiwan where you can find bubble tea stands on every corner. The “bubbles” come from the froth that the milk makes when the drink is shaken prior to drinking. The pearls in the bottom of the glass are tapioca pearls that are typically black in color but can also be white or clear. They are soaked in a simple syrup before using so that they add sweetness to the drink. After the pearls are placed in the glass, it is then filled with a chilled drink then shaken.
Now for a recipe! If you like Chai Tea, you have to try this awesome bubble tea recipe. It is delicious! However, if you prefer other flavors of tea, feel free to sub them in!
What You’ll Need:
5 Chai Tea Bags (we recommend Tazo Organic Chai Tea)
Coconut Milk (or whole milk if you prefer)
Tapioca Pearls (you can find these on Amazon)
Simple Syrup (optional)
Put it together!
- Boil the tapioca pearls for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let them cool in the water for 6 minutes.
- Rinse the pearls, place in a container with simple syrup or water and chill. (If you like a sweeter drink use the simple syrup so the pearls absorb the sweetness)
- Brew your chai tea by steeping 5 chai tea bags in 3 cups of water.
- Grab a tall glass, put 1/2 cup of coconut milk in the glass, add honey to taste.
- Add a few spoonfuls of tapioca pearls.
- Put 3/4 cup of your tea in the glass and mix it up!
- Grab a straw and enjoy!
Leave a Reply