Fill your teacup with some tasty tea and get ready to toast some memorable occasions in April. There are the obvious ones, such as April Fool’s Day on the 1st and Easter on the 8th. However, as always, I present some not-so-well-known occasions to toast.
- Children’s Book Day — April 2nd — From “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” to the Harry Potter series and thousands upon thousands more, books created to delight and educate the young among us are true delights for even us older codgers. In fact, hubby and I have bought a few whose illustrations and stories held a certain charm. The Tin Tin series is one of these, and so is The Polar Express, which we bought before the amazing animated movie version came out. Celebrate the day by reading a book to that special young person in your life or even out loud to each other. And keep a cuppa tea at hand to sip from.
- Walk Around Things Day — April 4th — “What things?” you may ask. Well, walk around the table, the desk, the car, the guy standing in the middle of the sidewalk texting on his iPhone, the woman in the produce aisle selecting the best navel oranges, etc. If you have a travel mug of tea in hand, you’ll have a great journey!
- No Housework Day — April 7th — Leave the cobwebs hanging and the dust bunnies rolling while you have a nice, relaxing tea time.
- Russian Cosmonaut Day — April 12th — Steep up some of that Russian Caravan tea. Its smoky taste will send you into orbit!
- Blame Someone Else Day — April 13th — Whether it’s spilling the tea or burning the scones, just blame someone else!
- International Juggler’s Day — April 18th — Juggling can be a part of everyday life, especially for you moms and dads out there. But even for hubby and I things can get hectic, so an appreciation for the jugglers among us is due here. Try juggling some teaballs (the dry form of flowering teas).
- National High Five Day — April 19th — Do not, I repeat, do not have a full (or even empty) teacup or mug in the hand you high five with.
- Take a Chance Day — April 23rd — What a perfect time to try a new tea! Been hearing about mysterious pu-erh but have been reluctant to take the plunge and try some? Go for it today. How about finally trying that highly-touted white tea? This is the day to dive on in. Whatever you choose, remember that it’s all to celebrate this special day.
- East meets West Day — April 25th — You can celebrate by steeping some Formosa oolong in a Bodum teapot or some English Breakfast Blend in a kyusu. Some Japanese Houjicha steeped in
- Hairstyle Appreciation Day — April 30th — Ever had a really, really bad haircut? Me, too. Fortunately, I was surrounded by people of such exquisite manners that not once did I hear things like “Gee, did you break the lawn mower blades getting that haircut?” or “Was that haircut an Edward Scissorhands special?” All they said when I walked in the room or office was, “Hi, you’re looking different today.” On this date if you encounter another such unfortunate victim of the hairdresser’s art, try to be as diplomatic as these people were to me. Of course, often people are quite pleased with the results of their time in the hairdresser’s chair. In that case, your remarks can be fully truthful. Either way, toast their new hairstyle with tea!
You’re all set for April now. Steep up a few potfuls and toast these and other special days this month. It gives you something to do in-between sips!
© Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this article’s author and/or the blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.