Ah, shortbread – beloved of tea time aficionados. And, happily, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some even have nuts, dried fruis, and chocolate added in. Serving up a variety of these shapes and flavors can really enliven your tea time!
The Bar (“Finger”) Shape
This shape is just a long rectangle. To me it’s the best, probably because it was the first I’d ever had. Or maybe because I can nibble from the end more easily than the other shapes. Shortbread, loaded with butter, is the type of thing to nibble.
- Walkers Shortbread Fingers – 5.3oz (150g) – Imported from the UK, these are the classic shortbread recipe traditionally baked in a square and then cut into a “fingers” shape. Pure butter shortbread with a perfect, crumbly “melt-in-the-mouth” texture and just the right amount of sweetness. A perfect accompaniment to hot or iced tea and with a dish of ice cream.
- Border Scottish Shortbread Fingers – 6.7oz (190g) – These light and buttery cookies are sure to melt in your mouth. They’re made from an original recipe, using only the finest ingredients. Share with friends and family or just enjoy some to keep your sweet tooth happy.
- O’Neill’s Shortbread – Fingers – 5oz (141g) – Imported from the UK and baked from an age-old recipe passed down for generations. They use only the finest and freshest ingredients, making this shortbread a delicious and buttery addition to afternoon tea.
The Round & Swirl Shapes
The rounds are a great shape, too. And a bit more suitable for dunking.
- Walkers Shortbread Rounds – 5.3oz (150g) – Imported from the UK, these are very traditional, being miniature versions of the larger cakes of shortbread produced in olden days. They have a rich distinctive buttery taste and are baked in the secluded village of Aberlour, Speyside, in the heart of the Scottish Highlands according to a traditional recipe handed down through generations of the Walker family. The perfect accompaniment to tea and ideal with ice cream or desserts.
- Walkers Shortbread Rounds – 2 Pack – 1.2oz (0.075g) – Those wonderful rounds in convenient take-along packs. Each pack of shortbread biscuits contains 2 delicious, buttery cookies.
The Petticoat Tails Shape
A unique shapes said to resemble the edges of a woman’s petticoat (something us gals don’t wear much anymore). They may have been inspired by Mary Queen of Scots, who returned from France (where she grew up, was married, and then widowed) to Scotland during the 16th century. Her chefs are said to have modified the traditional large, round shortbread cakes into individual servings.
- O’Neill’s Shortbread – Petticoat Tails – 4.4oz (124g) – Baked from an age-old recipe passed down for generations, using only the finest and freshest ingredients. A delicious and buttery addition to afternoon tea.
- Walkers Shortbread Petticoat Tails- 5.3oz (150g) – A rich texture and a touch of sugar make these perfect for those who enjoy sweeter shortbreads. Great with hot tea, ice cream, chocolate, or desserts.
Various Other Shapes
- Walkers Shortbread Triangles – 5.3oz (150g) – Baked in the Scottish Highlands from just four natural ingredients. The triangle shape makes a particularly impressive addition as a garnish on mousse, puddings and ice cream.
- ONeills Shamrock Shortbread – 2.8oz (80g) – Imported from Ireland, these buttery treats are shaped like delightful shamrocks. The recipe was passed down by generations and contains the simplest, yet finest ingredients, blended and baked to delicious perfection. A good luck gift from Ireland.
Some of Those Flavored Kinds
As if that buttery goodness weren’t enough, some makers now add currants, nuts, and chocolate chips.
- McVities Fruit Shortcake – 7.05oz (200g) – A delicious crumbly shortbread biscuit packed full of currants. The perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea.
- Border Chocolate Chip Shortbread – 5.3oz (150g) – A generous helping of sweet chocolate chips are poured into Border’s classic shortbread recipe to bring you this decadent treat.
- Walker Chocolate Chip Shortbread- 4.4oz (124g) – Bountiful amounts of real chocolate chips and Walkers have never looked back. Chocolate Chip Shortbread brings a certain self-indulgence to teatime which is why this variety has become one of their most popular.
- Walkers Shortbread Almond – 5.3oz (150g) – A classic shortbread with a delicious almond flavor that comes from the finest almonds and pure almond oil added to the traditional shortbread recipe. A flavor that is uniquely exquisite and that is a perfect accompaniment to your hot cuppa tea.
A word to the wise for the holiday season that will soon be upon us: watch for shortbread cookies in those special holiday shapes to reappear. What’s tea time without a munchable, buttery sweet evergreen tree, bell, star, or Santa?
See more of A.C. Cargill’s articles here.
© Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this article’s author and/or the blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.