- Oven 190 C, 375 F, Gas mark 5
- A greased two pound loaf tin
- 6 oz butter
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs or 2 eggs and the whites from another recipe
- 4 oz self raising flour
- 2 oz ground almonds ( for a different texture, you can use all flour though)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Icing (of your choice) I used:
- a 7 oz block of dark chocolate and
- 3 oz butter melted together then poured of the finished cake
Cream the butter and sugar together then add the eggs and beat hard. Slowly add the flour, milk and ground almonds if using and combine well. Now divide your mixture into two and add the cocoa powder to one half. Spoon the two mixtures alternatively into the tin and tap down to rid the mixture of any air pockets.
Now with a thin knife blade or a skewer draw through the mixture to mix slightly and produce a marbled effect. Bake for 40-45 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Test with a cake test or skewer. Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.
Place a plate under the rack to catch any drips then make up the icing and pour over the cake. Enjoy a thick slice with any tea you like. -JAB