Memorial Day hasn’t been around too long — only about since the late 1800s which is pretty short relative to the history of tea drinking — but it has quickly become a time for picnics and celebrating. Those celebrations honor bravery and people who fought. Making tea a part of that celebration can be a brave thing to do.
Some folks out there are convinced that tea is not a very “manly” beverage. I say, “Hey, drink what you like!” Lots of men like tea. They’re just concerned about the public image tea has in some circles. Including tea in your Memorial Day picnic, tailgate party, or massive cookout featuring a team of grill champions will be very manly and very celebratory.
Some teas to have with manly Memorial Day celebration foods:
- Pure beef burgers and plump hotdogs (grilled just the way you like ’em and served up on buttered, grilled buns) — go for Assam, Ceylon, Darjeeling, Kenyan, or Nilgiri.
- Slabs of ribs (barbecued to perfection using either a rich tomato sauce or a tangy vinegar-based sauce) — select from Ceylon, Gunpowder, and Yunnan.
- Vegan Kabobs (chunks of green bell pepper, sweet onions, cherry tomatoes, fresh pineapple, and mushroom caps) — If you go more spicy on the kabobs, try Assam or Kenyan, maybe even Yunnan.
- Heavy duty potato salad (unskinned red potatoes, diced sweet gherkins, mayonnaise, mustard, dill, and even some diced sweet onions if you are so inclined) — serve up some Ceylon black tea, a nice Darjeeling, a Nilgiri tea, or even a nice Oolong.
- Sweet corn on the cob (wrap each ear in aluminum foil and toss on the grill for awhile) — green teas are good here, such as Chun Mee, Hojicha, or Sencha.
- Baked beans (you can add in a few hunks of pork for added flavor or keep it vegan) — try Yunnan, Kenyan, or Assam.
- Coleslaw (freshly chopped cabbage, bits of chopped carrots, and coleslaw dressing) — Ceylon, Chun Mee, Sencha, or Nilgiri will go great here.
You may have noticed that different teas go with the above foods. So, what do you do? Serve them all? Or select one or two that go with most of what you are dishing up? There are several that go with most of these foods, so you might start with one of them: Ceylon (black and green), Assam, Kenyan, and Nilgiri. Hot or iced, these teas will deliver manly flavor for your Memorial Day celebration. And us women will enjoy them, too!
© Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this article’s author and/or the blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.