August is hot. ’Nuff said. There also seem to be no major holidays or special occasions during this month. But August is chock full of lesser known occasions that deserve a tip of the teacup in recognition. Here are ten of them to get you started. (Don’t forget, of course, the 2012 Olympics in London!)
- National Ice Cream Sandwich Day — August 2nd — Vanilla in the middle and chocolate top and bottom! Icy cold and richly cakey. It’s a favorite Summertime treat. Toast the inventor with tea!
- Sisters Day — August 5th — This is actually held on the 1st Sunday in August, which is the 5th this year. Sisters are a precious commodity, and sometimes an annoyance. Either way, take a moment to celebrate (or dowse) them with tea!
- Son and Daughter Day — August 11th — Speaking of familial relations, once you are done feting the female siblings, give a toast to the sons and daughters to be found. If you have none yourself, look to your nieces and nephews or branch out into the neighborhood.
- Middle Child’s Day — August 12th — Keeping with the theme of relative matters, it’s time to recognize not the inner child but the middle child. The oldest child is the leader, doing things first. The youngest child is the “baby” and gets coddled. But the middle child often gets overlooked, or so the saying goes. Cheer him or her up with a special tea time.
- Relaxation Day — August 15th — Nothing calms like tea and even the act of making it. From a simple steeping in hot water to an entire ceremony where every step is full of centuries of meaning, tea transcends the mere act of quenching your thirst.
- National Thrift Shop Day — August 17th — Some of my best bone china teacups and saucers were found in thrift shops. They are wonderful to sip my tea from, and a toast to thrift shops everywhere is therefore in order. Salute!
- Ride the Wind Day — August 23rd — Ever go hang-gliding? Me, neither, but if you ever wanted to, today is the day. I must say that even I wouldn’t want to take along a travel mug of tea on such an outing, at least not while in the air. But, hey, if you are that daring…
- Kiss and Make Up Day — August 25th — Had a spat with your sweetie? A contritiant “I’m sorry” plus a kiss and a nice tea time service with plenty of goodies and lots of tasty tea will go a long way toward getting things back on track, relationship-wise.
- More Herbs, Less Salt Day — August 29th — Salt was once such a rare and valued commodity that it was used as currency. These days, it’s vilified, justly or unjustly, as a health hazard. Some herbs go a long way toward adding a touch of taste appeal to what otherwise ends up being bland food (when no salt is used). A nice cuppa tea will also help!
- Frankenstein Day — August 30th — The villagers will be chasing you with flaming torches and pitchforks, but never fear. The torches will be for roasting wieners stuck on those pitchforks and gobbling up with lots of your favorite toppings on a toasted bun. Don’t forget the tea!
You’re all set for August now. Stay cool (or warm if you’re in the Southern Hemisphere) and steep up a few potfuls of tea and toast these and other special days this month. It gives you something to do in-between sips!
© Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this article’s author and/or the blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Online Stores, Inc., and The English Tea Store Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.