I love carrot cake but I am not keen on it with lots of spices and dried fruit and certainly not nuts so I have been experimenting with various recipes and I think I have come up with a good one. It uses oil instead of butter and just a little ginger to jazz it up.
You will need:
- 9 fluid ounces of sunflower oil
- 8 oz light brown or muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs (you can use the spare yolks from the Easter Nests too)
- 8 oz Self Raising Flour
- Some ground ginger, mace and grated nutmeg if liked
- 7 oz peeled and finely grated carrot
- Oven 180 C 350 F gas mark 4
- Grease and bottom line two 7-inch sandwich tins
Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for approximately 30 minutes until firm to the touch and golden.
Leave the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2 oz unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 oz pack of cream cheese
- 1 oz icing sugar
- few drops of vanilla extract
Beat all the ingredients together until well mixed and then spread half the mixture on one cake, put the other cake on top and spread the remaining frosting on top. If liked you can sprinkle nuts of your choice on top.